Saturday, May 20, 2006

Rabid Fan Girls - changing definition?

Sarah McCarty just guest blogged over at Let's Gab with Anne, Jennifer B, and Lori. Go over and check it out here.


What she describes however, is not a rabid fan girl. Perhaps she is trying to change the definition because of the simple fact (as she admits)that some of her fans have been accused of being rabid. I dunno, Erin tried to explain in the comments but was told:

"Erin, Rabid fan girl used to refer to the hyper defensive situation you've described, (which frankly I found amusing the way one finds a child flexing their will amusing) but now it seems to extend to anyone with strong feelings pro or con."

I'm not sure where this is coming from but it simply isn't true. Anyone who reads my blog knows I'm not a fan of rabid fan girls, and I'm talking about the real ones, not what Sarah describes (which I just consider as fan girls)

A rabid fan girl is someone who is so intense that only their favorite author should ever be read or spoken about. They turn up at other author's list Mom days and bring their author into the conversation at every turn, they insist that all criticism is unwarrented, they attack anyone who might remotely disagree. Basically they are rude and loud and a PITA.

As someone who moderates a pretty big list where rabid fan girls are known to hang out, I can say that they do damage the author they are spouting on about.

I'm a pretty big fan of a lot of authors but I'm never rabid. I don't ever wish to be considered as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment